Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Korean American Christian boy's worldly views!

My name is Daniel and I am a student attending Taejon Christian International School in South Korea. As a Christian with a bicultural background, I find my worldly views highly affected by my faith and the culture hat I've been exposed to.


First of all, most of my worldly views are formed from the fact that I am a Christian, especially a Pastor's kid (PK). When I was young, I didn’t really take my religion seriously, but now that I became mature enough, I find that my worldly views are very strictly according to my faith. As a Christian, I find drinking and smoking very sinful. However, I don’t judge people of their wrong doings because God told us not to hate the person but hate the sin itself. Small things from drinking and smoking, to more global issues such as peace talks and racism, I first think about what God has told us to do and not do. 
When I look at the world, I try to understand what God wants from me and what he is trying to do through me. I also try not to hold on to the materialistic things that this world provides because without God, no one will be able to find true peace and comfort. All I try to rely on is his grace and mercy. It is not that I find this world meaningless and useless, but it is that I value God's way more than what society and generally the world values more on. The world is only a temporary bus stop before reaching my final destination, which would be heaven. 

Other than my faith, my culture also shaped my perspective of the world. I have a very diverse view of the world because I was raised up in two very distinct cultural environments. I was born in the U.S. in 1993 and was raised there until I was seven years old. Then my family came to Korea and I from 1st grade in elementary school to 7th grade in middle school, I was in Korea. At this time I forgot most of my English and the American culture, and was very used to Korea. However, after the first semester in the 7th grade, my family went back to the U.S. for my father’s sabbatical year. After a year, my parents came back to Korea and my brothers and I were left in the U.S. for further education. For two years I attended Norman High School in Norman, Oklahoma.




This year I came back to Korea because I believe that God wanted me in Korea. Because of my bicultural life, my worldly views have been shaped neither as a Korean nor American, but as a person in the gray area. When looking at the world, I always find myself as someone in between a Korean and an American. For an example, in Korea it is not that homo to wear skinny jeans. However in America, some people still believe that skinny jeans are very girly for a man to wear. When I see a guy wearing skinny jeans, I don’t immediately think he is girly, but I understand his style and respect it. On the other hand, I also find my self-understanding why my American friends find it looking not so manly; because a man needs to be strong and built rather than skinny and weak. Small things like these to global issues such as the Iraq war and FTA issues between Korea and the U.S, I can understand both perspectives. 

I didn't realize before, but now that I think of it, I found how much my faith and my culture has influenced my perspective of the world. I am also very thankful to God that he has exposed me to both the American culture and the Korean culture. Now I can understand both cultures and view this world in a borader way.

2 comments:

  1. You are so right - when one has only one culture it is very difficult to understand other points of view but you have an advantage of knowing two cultures very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Daniel, I am a Dutch journalist working for one of Holland's main newspapers called Volkskrant. I would like to contact you, what is the best way to do that?

    ReplyDelete